Request your medical records
We walk you through the steps required to request your medical records.
Patients have a right under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) to access their Protected Health Information (PHI) in a Designated Record Set which many people refer to as their “medical record.” Designated Record Sets include documentation of your medical care delivered by Dallas Orthopedic & Shoulder Institute and any records used by Dallas Orthopedic & Shoulder Institute to make decisions about your care.
There are different options to request your PHI from Dallas Orthopedic & Shoulder Institute as listed below:
If you are a patient:
- You can access your medical record by logging onto our Patient Portal. This option provides you summaries of your clinic visits and also billing information. If you have not had access of patient portal or if you are a new patient, please contact our office at 214-256-3778 to set up a new account for you. If you are an existing user, you can simply select “forget password” to reset your password.
- If you have other specific requests that are not accessible on patient portal, please complete and sign Patient Authorization for Release of Records. Completed forms can be mailed, faxed, or dropped off in person to the Dallas Orthopedic & Shoulder Institute Medical Records Department. There is a charge for records. Generally, the requested records will be ready in 72 business hours once the completed request form and payment have been received. If you have questions, please contact us at 214-256-3778 option 4.
If you are a law office/insurance company:
- Please fax the request to 214-256-3770 along with a signed patient authorization release form. Make sure you include:
- ALL items requested, such as medical records of specific date(s) of services, imaging studies, and etc.
- Billing contact information whereas the invoice will be sent.
- Method of deliveries:
- Pick up in person
- Mailed (additional postage cost will apply)
Once the payment is received, we will contact you within 7 BUSINESS DAYS to let you know when the records are ready to be delivered by one of the named methods above.
How will I receive my medical records and is there a fee?
Your records will be released by the option indicated on the form you complete. You will be notified of the fee in advance, and Dallas Orthopedic & Shoulder Institute will only charge a fee for the cost of copying the health information, supplies for creating the copy and postage if it is mailed.
To learn more about medical record releases, contact our medical records department during business hours of Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm at Dallas Orthopedic & Shoulder Institute Orthopedics at 214-256-3778 option 4.